Sep 6, 2009

A Plan Gone Awry

I made a list and checked it twice, had to find out what cost went amiss!

I charted a very well laid course for Publix and I only strayed off course once, but I didn't stay on top of my cashier so in the end, I still sunk my battleship.

The Plan:

Use $5/$20 meat FLIP to purchase a good size boston butt roast at $1.79lb, pork spare ribs at $1.59lb, and 2 pkgs of Carolina Pride sausage at $2.24ea after my $1.50/2 q
1 8o'clock Coffee $4.99-$1q = $3.99
4 ears of corn at $.25ea = $1
2 64oz Gatorade $2ea on sale BOGO & - $1/2 q = $.50ea or $1 for both
1 Fried chicken dinner meal for $10.59 (8pcs, 2 sides, rolls) $10.59- $3FLIP = $7.59
1 2ltr Crush soda w/ hang tag q = FREE w/ purchase of deli dinner meal (this is where I strayed from my plan, but hey! It was FREE!)
2lbs Bananas at $.69lb - $.50 TQ = $.87
3 Lemons for $1.29
3 Limes for $1
1 Bag of Romaine hearts $2.99
1 Publix Half and Half $3.39
2 cans Planters lightly salted peanuts $2.99ea - (2) $2FLIP & $1/2 mfrq = $.49ea or $.99 for both
1 large Cabot Cottage Cheese $2.59
3 boxes Popsicles BOGO $1.99ea - (3)$.75TQ & (3)$1 mfrq = $.74 or .24ea
2 Barber Stuffed frozen chickens BOGO $2.49ea - (2)$1IP = $1.49ea or $2.99 for both
2 Crest toothpastes on sale for $1.66ea - (2) $1 peelies & (2) $.50 mfr q that doubles to make these FREE with about $.34ea in overages
I had $5/$25 Rite-aid and $5/50 Kmart to use as well.

My total should have been around $36.00 after all my qs and before tax.

Ok. So how do I walk out of the store with a bill for $42.73 before tax? Because I was running my mouth, actually. The customer behind me only had a few items and I could tell she was irritated that my transaction was taking so long. I turned to her and smiled and apologized for the wait. She kind of muttered something about it being ok. BUT when she saw how my total went from over $80 to $42, she was hooked. She leaned over me to look at the screen and said, "You saved how much?!" Of course, I had to tell her about southernsavers.com and couponmom.com. I was trying to finish my tranny and still talk to her so it wasn't until I got in the car that I realized I paid too much! Oh, you know I'm going to run over the receipt with a fine tooth comb. I already had to correct the cashier once because she didn't charge me for all my corn. What else was she doing while I was chatting? $4.09ea for toothpaste, under charged for limes, and missing a $2 off q...um, huh? How many things can be wrong with a receipt? I've never had this many before. I know what the difference should be, but at this point I'm going to return the wrong toothpaste I picked up and not worry about trying to explain everything else to customer service. Too much hassle! I'll make another purchase to get the right toothpaste and some more BOGO Hallmark cards to help me get the penny item today. It's Publix brand tortilla chips and we go thru tortilla chips like water around this house.

No comments: